Sunday, October 29

That's a wrap!

This final blog for our LHP 459 class is meant to wrap up what we have learned throughout our four-month ordeal of studying. Having much to say, I don’t know where to begin. What I can say is I have been putting off this blog assignment until the last possible minute due to a common disease called laziness.

I remember my first day being in this class. It was 8am and I’m still not fully awake at that time. I didn’t know we were required to speak out a lot in this class so I made a point of saying that my strength lies in writing, not speaking. My statement goes unheard and we still did a lot of talking anyway. Gradually, I learnt that for me public speaking is best done when you are neither very well-prepared nor unprepared. Speaking spontaneously when you have the points in your head and elaborating it as you go along, I found that not so much different from writing. Of course, in writing you can always correct your mistakes but in speaking its like writing with a felt-tip pen and you have to be careful not to misspell anything because you can’t erase it. Okay, bad analogy but that’s how it is and what makes it more interesting. So we learned to speak spontaneously in this class to give our own views and opinions and do many successful group discussions in an orderly way.

Furthermore, by encouraging students to make our voices heard and make our presence felt, we now have more courage to do so and it will not be a problem to us in the long run. I’ve known some of my classmates who are really shy and never spoken in other classes before, but being in this class brings out the best in them. Participation in class, agreeing, disagreeing, and sometimes arguing over a topic makes us feel more confident to express our views because nothing we say seems to be wrong.

In the end, I can say this class has a lot to offer, what with interpreting any kinds of situations and learning to accept many different opinions and views. It is important for those who want to learn and understand more about everyday happenings, and I suggest they join this class to obtain what we have experienced.




No comments:

Post a Comment

now it's your turn to talk.